History

AA 3 stars

Telephone: 01392 272709

Email: enquiries@queenscourt-hotel.co.uk

Address: Bystock Terrace, Exeter, Devon, EX4 4HY. Directions

History of the Hotel

Built around 1840, Bystock Terrace was home to wealthy merchants of the area. Originally lying outside the city walls of Exeter the present location of the hotel was made possible by the construction of Queen Street which passed through the city walls in 1835.

This reproduction from an original watercolour 1860, shows the view of the front of the Queens Court Hotel towards the Clock Tower.
bystock-terrace-exeter
This illustration shows the view from Northernhay Gardens across St. David’s and the terrace 1840.

northenhay-gardens-exeter

The Redvers Suite

general-redvers

The Redvers Suite is our main entertaining room in the Hotel, which can hold up to 150 guests for weddings and private parties.

The Redvers Suite was named after General Rt. Hon Sir Redvers Buller VC GCB. He is remembered as the ‘father’ of the Army Service Corps and the barracks in Aldershot bears his name.

Commissioned in 1858 he fought in many battles including the Red River rebellion, Canada1870 and the Zulu war South Africa, 1879 where he lost ninety men and was awarded the Victoria Cross for rescuing three of his men from the Zulus.